Les Arènes de Lutèce
49, rue Monge
The ruins of a 1st century Roman amphitheater that could seat up to 15,000 people. One of the largest Roman amphitheaters ever built, it is one of the few traces of the Gallo-Roman period that are still visible in Paris. Gladiator combats, mock sea battles, circuses, theater and other spectacles were presented here. The arena was unearthed in the late 19th century during construction work and by 1896 restoration had begun and it was opened as a public square. Today it is a relaxing park ideal for sitting, strolling and impromptu pick-up games of soccer or pétanque in the heart of the Latin Quarter.